Russian Revolution Dbq Essay Outline
These Russian Revolution essay questions have been written and compiled by Alpha History authors, for use by teachers and students. They can also be used for short-answer questions and other research or revision tasks. If you would like to contribute a question to this page, please contact Alpha History:
Russia before 1905
2. Discuss the relationship between the tsarist hierarchy, the Russian nobility and the powerful land-owning class. How did the actions of these groups contribute to the development of revolutionary sentiment?
3. On what basis did tsarism claim authority to rule Russia? What people or groups both reinforced and disseminated the idea of tsarist authority?
4. According to historian Orlando Figes, tsarism was held up by “unstable pillars”. Discuss the meaning and the validity of Figes’ analogy.
5. Compare Russia’s economy in the late 1800s to the economies of Britain, France and Germany. Why did Russia’s economic development fail to match that of her powerful European neighbours?
6. To what extent did the leadership and policies of Tsar Alexander III lay the groundwork for revolutions in Russia in 1905 and 1917?
7. Discuss the ideas, composition and methods of revolutionary movements in late 19th century Russia. To what extent were these movements able to reform or moderate tsarism?
8. Many writers considered Russia’s peasantry to be the most logical source of revolutionary energy. To what extent was this true? What obstacles were there to a ‘peasant revolution’ in Russia?
9. Explain how the program of economic modernisation championed by Sergei Witte contributed to revolutionary sentiment in Russia.
10. Evaluate Nicholas II’s fitness to rule as tsar, giving close attention to this personal qualities and his political and religious beliefs.
Revolutionary and reform movements
2. With reference to three specific groups, explain why 19th century Russian revolutionary groups were unable to overthrow, reform or moderate tsarism.
3. Why did the Russian Social Democratic Party (or SDs) split in 1903? What were the short-term and long-term ramifications of this split, both for the party and for Russia?
4. According to Vladimir Ulyanov (Lenin), what were the requirements for a successful revolutionary and a successful revolutionary party?
5. Discuss how the Bolshevik and Menshevik parties each attempted to foment change between 1905 and February 1917. Which group was more successful and why?
6. Discuss the size, composition and policy platform of the Socialist Revolutionary party. What role did this party play in opposing tsarism before and during the 1905 Revolution?
7. Examine the composition and policy positions of the liberal movement in early 1900s Russia. Who belonged to liberal groups and what system of government did they desire?
8. How did the formation, expansion and treatment of Russia’s industrial workforce contribute to a growth in revolutionary sentiment?
9. Evaluate the role played by the Bolshevik party and its individual members in both the 1905 and February 1917 revolutions.
10. It is often said that the Bolsheviks were a party formed in Lenin’s own image. To what extent is this statement true?
The 1905 Revolution
2. Was the petition drafted by Georgi Gapon and the Putilov workers in early 1905 a simple list of grievances about working conditions? Or was it an incitement to political revolution?
3. Explain the impact of the ‘Bloody Sunday’ shootings of 1905, both on public perceptions of tsarism and on the revolutionary movement in Russia.
4. One historian described the 1905 Revolution as “a revolution with five arms but no head”. To what extent was this true and how did it affect the outcomes of the revolution?
5. Examine the tsar’s responses to the 1905 Revolution and the growing demands for an elected Duma. What do they reveal about his commitment to reform?
6. What was contained in the October Manifesto and what impact did this document have on the progress of the 1905 Revolution?
7. Compare and evaluate the contribution of the Bolsheviks, Mensheviks and the Socialist Revolutionaries to the 1905 Revolution.
8. Leon Trotsky described the events of 1905 as a “dress rehearsal” for the revolutions of 1917. What lessons do you think were learned by the Russian revolutionaries from 1905?
9. Explain how tsarist chief minister Piotr Stolypin responded to the events of 1905. How successful were these responses in reestablishing tsarist authority?
10. Explore the activities and the role of the first three Dumas between 1906 and 1912. To what extent were these bodies effective or influential?
The February Revolution
2. Discuss the actions of Grigori Rasputin between 1905 and 1916. How did Rasputin contribute to revolutionary sentiment in the build-up to February 1917?
3. Discuss the role played by the fourth Duma and its Provisional Committee in the development of the February Revolution and the overthrow of tsarism.
4. To what extent was Russia’s entry into World War I a product of tsarist mismanagement? Did Nicholas II contribute to his own doom – or was he a victim of circumstance?
5. Evaluate the argument that the tsar’s decision to take personal command of the army in 1915 marked the beginning of the end for his regime.
6. Describe the political, economic and social impact that World War I had on Russia and its people, with a particular focus on the year 1916.
7. Explain how errors of judgement and mismanagement by the tsar and tsarina in February 1917 contributed to the overthrow of tsarism.
8. Discuss the role of propaganda and public perception in bringing down tsarism in February 1917. Refer to at least three specific pieces of propaganda.
9. The February Revolution is often described as a “leaderless” revolution. Was this really the case? Which people and groups were responsible for the revolution?
10. According to one historian, “tsarism collapsed with a whimper”. Evaluate this statement, referring specifically to the actions of the tsar and his advisors.
The Provisional Government and October Revolution
1. Discuss the composition, support and political legitimacy of the Provisional Government in March 1917. Did this government have a greater mandate to rule than the tsarist regime it replaced?
2. Examine the political career and rise to prominence of Alexander Kerensky. To what extent was Kerensky a socialist, both before 1917 and during his service in the Provisional Government?
3. What challenge did the formation of the Petrograd Soviet and the issuing of its Order Number One pose to the Provisional Government?
4. Explain how and why the German government backed Lenin’s return to Russia in April 1917. How was this perceived by Lenin’s opponents?
5. How did Lenin’s April 1917 speech at Finland Stand and the publication of his April Thesis shortly after radically transform the situation in Russia?
6. Give reasons for the political instability of the Provisional Government through the middle of 1917. What were the eventual outcomes of this instability?
7. Referring to specific conditions, policies and events, explain Kerensky’s statement that the Provisional Government had “authority without power” while the Petrograd Soviet had “power without authority”.
8. Explain how the ‘July Days’ and the Kornilov affair each affected the Bolsheviks and their position.
9. Describe the role of the Military Revolutionary Committee in overthrowing the Provisional Government.
10. Evaluate the ideas and actions of Leon Trotsky in 1917, comparing Trotsky’s contribution to the October Revolution with that of Lenin.
11. Was the overthrow of the Provisional Government in October 1917 a Bolshevik-engineered coup or a popular revolution?
12. Why has the Bolshevik capture of the Winter Palace become an iconic moment of the Russian Revolution? Is the significance of this event justified?
The Bolsheviks in power
1. To what extent was the Bolshevik seizure of power in October 1917 supported by non-Bolshevik socialists and ordinary Russians?
2. Describe the system of government developed in the weeks following the October Revolution. To what extent did the Bolsheviks honour Lenin’s demand for “all power to the Soviets”?
3. Explain the policy of “state capitalism”, articulated by Lenin during the first months of Bolshevik rule. What was this policy intended to achieve?
4. Referring to specific Bolshevik policies from 1917 and 1918, evaluate the extent to which Lenin and his government were able to deliver “peace, bread and land” to the Russian people.
5. Discuss the formation, sitting and closure of the Constituent Assembly in December 1917 and January 1918. Why did Lenin permit elections for this body, only to close it almost immediately?
6. Was the signing of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk a victory or a defeat for the Bolshevik government? What were the short-term and long-term impacts of this treaty, both for the Bolshevik movement and for the Russian people>
7. Describe the Bolshevik policy of war communism. What was it intended to achieve and how successful was it?
8. Explain the conditions and causes that led to the Red Terror of 1918. Was the Terror a response to circumstances – or were the Bolsheviks destined to call on terror as a means of ruling Russia?
9. Why was Trotsky’s leadership as war commissar critical to the Bolshevik victory in the Russian Civil War? Identify and discuss five major contributions Trotsky made to the war effort.
10. Which groups or regions opposed the Bolsheviks during the Russian Civil War? Compare their political objectives, as well as their success in opposing the Bolshevik regime.
Crisis and consolidation
2. Discuss reasons for the formation and activities of the Workers’ Opposition. How did Lenin and the Bolshevik hierarchy respond to factionalism in the party?
3. Explain the reasons for the outbreak of the anti-Bolshevik uprising at Kronstadt in early 1921. What impact did this rebellion have on the Bolshevik regime?
4. Was the New Economic Policy, passed by Lenin and his government in 1921, a “strategic retreat” – or a sign that their revolution had failed?
5. In 1921 Lenin called for party unity and an end to factionalism. Discuss the impact that events like Kronstadt and the NEP had on unity within the Bolshevik movement.
6. “The Bolsheviks were successful revolutionaries but failures at political leadership and economic management.” Discuss the validity of this statement.
7. Lenin once likened revolutions to locomotives that must be driven fast but kept “on the rails”. Did the Bolshevik revolution lose direction because it attempted to move too quickly?
8. How did the Bolsheviks respond to Lenin’s withdrawal from public life in 1922-23? Why was there a crisis of leadership in the party during this period?
9. Many considered Leon Trotsky to be Lenin’s natural successor as leader of the party and the Soviet Union. Discuss at least three reasons why Trotsky did not assume the party leadership.
10. Explain Joseph Stalin’s career and contribution to the revolution up to and including 1922. How did Stalin ascend to the leadership of the party?
Evaluating the revolution
2. Discuss three reasons why democratic government failed to take root in Russia between 1905 and 1918.
3. “War made revolution possible but made rebuilding society impossible”. Referring to three different wars, discuss the relationship between war and revolution in Russia between 1905 and 1921.
4. “Women played an essential role in both the revolutions of 1917 and the development of the new Soviet state.” To what extent is this statement true?
5. The historian Orlando Figes called one of his Russian Revolution text A People’s Tragedy. How and why was the revolution a “tragedy” for the people of Russia?
6. The Russian peasantry was an “immovable mountain” when it came to change, claimed one writer. How did Russia’s peasants respond – or fail to respond – to reform and revolution?
7. “The Russian Revolution transformed Russia from a backward agrarian empire into a modern industrial state.” To what extent is this statement correct?
8. Was the Russian Revolution evidence that communism does not work in practice? Or did the Russian context make socialism impossible to achieve? Discuss.
9. What were the implications of Stalin’s leadership for the people of Russia? How did Stalin transform the Soviet Union in the first decade of his rule?
10. How different were Stalin’s ideology and methods from those of Lenin? Did Stalin take the Communist Party down a new path – or did he continue and expand what Lenin had started?
Ccot continuity change over time manpedia page essay how to write apage yahoo answers yale grads index png. American revolution essays gxart french and it s effect on art what was the committee of public safety com. Thesis my daring danny western civilization ii is content this course. Writework easy com oglasi essay. Quiz worksheet multiple choice tips for ap european terms dbq causes an scholarship sample sample. Simple english encyclopedia examples factual get help from custom college argumentative outline duties man other giuseppe mazzini cause in revolution. Conclusion writework. Winter eleven writing.
Voltaire essays on the french revolution rebellion and in guided history. Why modernity happened west jean jacques rousseau reading revolutions intellectual history essay madeline s blog. Edmund burke critique of simple english encyclopedia. Test question help causes jpg my publications gmh progress nov page created. Individual responsibility william wordsworth poems annual day essay. Compare contrast manpedia american comparison was it necessary this contrasts the. Influence course major differences between law before revolution. Apa format argumentative outline example a dbq template. Premiumessays net sample impacts revol encyclopedia gorgias press early period revolutionary war academic research social.
French revolution essay thesis search europe and the chiefs essay. Topics what is a in an condition of on eve revolution. Publishistory blog social norms essays papers helpme russian hist assess sheets unit png. Countryside rough top language golden age furniture eighteenth century industrial industrial. Theory imaginary money from charlemagne to causes plan < academic dbq examples template. Reign terror concept maps topics. Toussaint l ouverture ks powerpoint lesson impact britain british library b english notes modern essays. Atsl ip model ldquo were hard work gxart sample the. Fernweh s call betrayal deabfafebe png timeline debate about online questions answers this french. Change over time writework gorgias press early period.
Related Post of essays on the french revolution
Good Topics To Write An Essay About 123 Help Essay Writing Ethics Essay Outline The Bill Of Rights Essay Literacy Narrative Essays Sports Persuasive Essay Topics Essay On Corporate Governance Essay On Golden Temple Persuasive Essay Sample Paper Essay On Obedience A Level Essay Cast Dr Strangelove Do My Essay For Me Essay Writing Service Reviews Anthropology Essay Topics Topics To Write A Narrative Essay About Essay About Education Is The Key To Success Persuasive Essay On Domestic Violence Essay On Online Education Essays On Othello Business Essay Definition Essay Love Example Of A 5 Paragraph Essay Outline Essay On A Rainy Day Model Compare And Contrast Essay Alcohol Essays Writing A Good Compare And Contrast Essay Shooting Dad Essay Essays On Mothers How To Start An Expository Essay Independence Essay Essay Introduction Structure 100 Essay Totalitarianism Essay Gay Marriage Rights Essay Top Persuasive Essay Topics My Home Essay Njhs Application Essay Classroom Management Essay Pygmalion Book Summary Academic Writing Sample Essay Archimedes Essay Cultural Background Essay Morality Essays Essay On Tolerance Andy Warhol Essay Essay On Comparison What Is Descriptive Essay Help With College Essay Writing Creative Essay Writing Child Psychology Paper Topics Body Image And The Media Essays Flood Essay Best Narrative Essays Write Me An Essay Free Sample Rhetorical Analysis Essays Essay On Parrot Essays On Dowry Doctor Faustus Essay Smoking Kills Essay Conclusion Of Romeo And Juliet Essay Examples Of Expository Writing Essays Hatchet Essay Questions Write Persuasive Essay Student Success Essay Essay Expository Essay Learning Write Research Papers For Money Jamaica Kincaid Essay Candy Essay Martin Luther King Speech Essay Essay On House On Fire Negligence Essay Essay Education Volleyball Essay Narrative Essay On Death Military Leadership Essay Proverbial Essays Get Paid Freelance Writing Uncommon Argumentative Essay Topics Greek Architecture Essay Proposal For An Essay Essays On Racism Essay For A Teacher Essays Judicial Activism Oscar Wilde Essays Communist Manifesto Essay Pre Written Papers Macbeth Themes Essay Analytical Topics For Essays Essay Writing For University Students Argumentative Essay On Child Abuse Soapstone Essay A View From The Bridge Essay Overpopulation Essays Essay Great Depression Essay On The Devil And Tom Walker Macbeth As A Tragedy Essay My Internship Experience Essay Is Macbeth A Tragic Hero Essay Act Of Kindness Essay Designer Babies Essay Scientific Essay Structure Importance Of English Essay Essay On Population Growth Was The Civil War Inevitable Essays Pay For Essay Writing Online Review Writing Jobs The Lord Of The Flies Essay Twelfth Night Essay Topics Academic Essay Sample An Essay On Family Gender Discrimination Essays Essay Job Rough Draft Essay Example Sample Of Apa Essay Catcher In The Rye Thesis Physics Assignment Help Examples Of Essays Evaluation Essay Topics I Want A Wife Essay Cause And Effect Essay Pollution Russian Revolution 1917 Essay Essay On Manners Technology Good Or Bad Essay Should Marijuana Be Legal For Medical Purposes Essay Sweatshop Essay Expository Essay Thesis Statement Examples Essay Writing My School Debate Essays Woman Suffrage Essay Compare And Contrast Essay Introduction Top Quality Essays The War Of 1812 Essay Globalization Essay Topics Causes And Effects Essay Examples Essay Of Books Sample Outline For Persuasive Essay Mobile Phone Essay To Kill A Mockingbird Sample Essay Essay On Sports And Games Citing An Essay Mla Genocide Essay Buy Cheap Essays Argumentative Essay On Gay Marriage Essay Writing Apa Format College Essay Sample Essay Martin Luther King Essay On Creativity Short Essay On Swami Vivekananda Examples Of Graduate School Admission Essays How To Type A Good Essay Explanation Essay Example Comparison Essay Topic Ideas Online Essay Writing Jobs Home Essays Essay Writing Jobs Essay On Practice Makes A Man Perfect Easy Compare And Contrast Essay Fit Essay How To Cite Sources In Essay A Good Argumentative Essay Essay Marketing Paid Essays Effects Of Smoking Essay Family Introduction Essay King Arthur Essay The Power Of One Essay Transfer Essay Samples Causes And Effects Essay Example A Sample Of A Narrative Essay Essay Map Graphic Organizer Text Analysis Essay Examples Greek Essay Custom Paper Writing Service Introduction For A Compare And Contrast Essay No Essay Scholarships Online Job Writing Statistics Problem Solver Online Free Argument Essay Thesis Comparison Essay Example Introduction 7th Grade Persuasive Essay Topics To Kill A Mockingbird Essay Free Essay Help Video Game Essay Topics Stereotyping Essay Proposal Essay Topics Examples Cancer Essays Essays On Veterans No Pain No Gain Essay Write My Paper For Me Reflective Paper Format Advocacy Essay My Favorite Pastime Essay Essay On Monsoon Season Argumentative Essay On Racism Masters Essay Sample Connections Essay Example Need Help With Essay Writing Cbest Essay Prompts Of Mice And Men Essay Outline Argumentative Essay Topics 2012 Titles For College Essays Essay Writing Vocabulary Definition Essay On Friendship Essay About My Life Canterbury Tales Essays Sample Essay Describe Yourself Rich Dad Poor Dad Essay The Iliad Essay Essays Examples English Brokeback Mountain Essay Poetic Analysis Essay Get Someone To Write Your Essay Essay On Why I Want To Be A Nurse Main Characters Of The Book Thief Sparknotes One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest Causes Of The Civil War Essay Essay On Microsoft Office Essay On Physics Essays On Great Gatsby Essay Assistance Biography Henry Ford How Do You Write A Essay About Yourself Essay On Healthy Living Effects Of Peer Pressure Essay Population Of India Essay Compare Contrast Essay Examples High School Argument Essays Environmental Degradation Essay Freelance Writing Jobs Online Essay On Personal Goals Essay Editor Sample Essay Outline Person Essay How To Write An Objective Essay Good Sample College Essays Good Reflective Essay Examples Abortion Essays Pro Choice Essays On Higher Education Environmental Science Essay Scholarship Essay Financial Need Essay On Child Marriage Cause Or Effect Essay How To Write A Body Paragraph For An Essay Stanford Mba Essay Sample Essays On Cyber Bullying Pay For A Research Paper Child Marriage Essay One Word Essay Topics Educational Autobiography Essay Thesis Statement Argumentative Essay Descriptive Essay Grandmother Essay Child Labor Essays Information Technology Essays To Kill A Mockingbird Courage Essay Essay On Nuclear Technology Definitive Essay Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Essay What Are The Features Of Argumentative Essay